Achieving Pregnancy After Vasectomy
Dr. Larry Lipshultz has the experience, surgical skills, and advanced technology necessary to help you and your partner achieve pregnancy after vasectomy. At our Houston, TX, practice, we can advise you of your options and recommend the most effective course of treatment based on your specific case. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Lipshultz or learn more about achieving pregnancy after vasectomy, contact our urology practice today.
Your Fertility Treatment Options
Many men undergo vasectomies as a contraceptive measure, but later decide they want to reclaim their fertility and expand their families. Fortunately, there are many solutions available for men in these circumstances, including:
- Vasectomy Reversal Surgery: If you have previously undergone a vasectomy, Dr. Lipshultz may be able to restore your fertility through vasectomy reversal surgery. He uses microsurgical techniques to repair the vas deferens, allowing sperm to travel from the testes to the urethra.
- Cryopreservation of Sperm: If you opted to harvest and freeze sperm before your vasectomy, you can use these samples in various fertility procedures. In many cases, cryopreserved sperm eliminates the need to undo a previous vasectomy, which can save you time and money.
- Assisted Reproductive Techniques (ART): The two most popular ART procedures are IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) and ICSI (Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection). The IVF procedure involves fertilizing the egg outside of the womb in a laboratory setting. During ICSI, sperm is injected directly into an already mature egg. If you previously banked your sperm, these samples can be used; if not, you will need to undergo a sperm extraction procedure.
- Intrauterine Insemination (IUI): If you have frozen ejaculated sperm, Dr. Lipshultz can inject your samples into your partner’s (or surrogate’s) uterus to aid in conception.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Lipshultz will discuss these options with you in detail. If you have questions, you are encouraged to ask them at this time. We want to enable you and your partner to make the most informed and confident decisions possible regarding your reproductive health.
Choosing the Right Solution For Your Needs
Given the variety of options at your disposal, you may have questions or concerns about which treatments will best suit your needs and be most likely to deliver a successful result in your case. Dr. Lipshultz can help you decide on an appropriate course of treatment based on:
- Your medical history
- A comprehensive physical exam, with a special assessment of your reproductive organs
- Your partner’s medical history, age, physical examination results, and fertility condition
- Whether or not you suffer from any other male infertility issues
- Your level of comfort with surgical procedures
- Your willingness to use donor sperm if necessary
- Any previous fertility treatments you have undergone or steps you have taken (such as cryopreservation of sperm)
Dr. Lipshultz will work closely with you to create a treatment plan that optimizes your chances for pregnancy.
Learn More about How You Can Conceive Successfully after a Vasectomy
With our assistance, a prior vasectomy does not have to prevent you from achieving your family goals. To find out how you and your partner can achieve successful pregnancy after this procedure, schedule an appointment with Dr. Larry Lipshultz today.