Premature Ejaculation Treatment
Dr. Larry Lipshultz can provide effective treatment for premature ejaculation at his Houston, TX, practice. About 30 percent of men suffer from this condition. Even men whose condition does not meet the medical definition of premature ejaculation - the inability to sustain sexual intercourse for more than 60 seconds prior to ejaculation - may wish to enhance their stamina. If premature ejactulation is affecting your quality of life, Dr. Lipshultz can help you understand the cause of your condition and recommend an effective treatment. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
Diagnosing Premature Ejaculation
To determine if premature ejaculation treatment can help you, Dr. Lipshultz will ask a series of questions:
- What is the time frame in which you ejaculate?
- Do you ejaculate before you or your partner would prefer?
- Do you feel in control of your ejaculation?
- How long have you suffered with this condition? Some patients suffer with lifelong premature ejaculation, while others develop this issue later in life, or in specific circumstances.
- How often do you experience premature ejaculation? Generally, this condition is considered problematic if it occurs more than half of the time.
After reviewing your answers and your medical records, Dr. Lipshultz may conduct a basic examination to determine which factors play a role in your condition.
The causes of premature ejaculation can be:
- Biological: Systemic diseases or disorders, such as hyperthyroidism, can lead to premature ejaculation. If you have experienced a sudden onset of premature ejaculation, it is especially important to undergo a physical examination.
- Neurobiological: Your brain chemistry can result in rapid ejaculation. In particular, irregularities with the neurotransmitter serotonin can impact your sexual function.
- Genetic: Due to heredity, some patients’ bodies may simply be more sensitive to sexual stimulation.
There are also potential psychological causes for premature ejaculation. Relationship issues, depression, anxiety, or low self-esteem can interfere with your sexual performance. Unfortunately, suffering from premature ejaculation may cause or exacerbate these conditions, making the cycle difficult to break without appropriate care.
Dr. Lipshultz provides three primary treatments for premature ejaculation:
- Topical Medications: When applied to your penis, these anesthetic substances desensitize the tissue, allowing you to delay ejaculation longer. Dr. Lipshultz often prescribes these substances first. We typically recommend Promescent® from Absorption Pharmaceuticals.
- Oral Medications: If the source of your premature ejaculation is neurobiological, taking a low dose of antidepressants or specific pain medications (which influence the level of serotonin in your brain) may help. However, these drugs can cause side effects, including insomnia, dry mouth, vision issues, nausea, weight gain, or even erectile dysfunction.
- Behavioral Modifications: Changing the way you have sexual intercourse can allow you to delay ejaculation. Dr. Lipshultz can explain the squeeze and start/stop techniques. However, these methods can interfere with sexual satisfaction and many men prefer alternative treatments.
Dr. Lipshultz will help you determine which treatment or combination of treatments is best for your needs.
Enjoy a Healthier, Happier Sex Life
To learn more about how our treatments can benefit you, contact our urology practice today and schedule a consultation with Dr. Lipshultz.